Earlier this week, on a late, cloudy Monday afternoon Ty and Gina of Hysteria Brewing Co. (Columbia) and I descended upon the dining room of Captain Jennifer Kaye of the Schooner Woodwind (Annapolis) talk about something awesome.
It’s the Schooner Woodwind’s 25th birthday this year and, to celebrate, Captain Jen collaborated with Hysteria to brew the Seas the Bay IPA.
Photo courtesy of Hysteria Brewing Co.
More information from Schooner Woodwind press release:
Schooner Woodwind is excited to announce an exclusive beer brewed especially for them by Hysteria Brewing Company in Columbia, MD for their 25th Anniversary. Named Seas the Bay IPA, this beer is a bright and drinkable beer with pineapple, lime, and ginger. The brightly colored label is original artwork showing the Schooner Woodwind sailing toward the iconic Bay Bridge and the Annapolis city skyline in the background.
This idea for an anniversary beer evolved from a conversation between Captain Jennifer Kaye, and Ty Kreis with Hysteria Brewing Company. The two companies collaborated to create a beer that includes crisp ginger and lime aromatics that compliment a refreshing sweetness, balanced by the warmth of fresh ginger and prominent Citra and Azacca hops.
“Having a signature craft beer for Schooner Woodwind’s sailors is just incredible,” said Captain Jennifer Kaye. “For 25 years we have served mainly craft beers from the Chesapeake Bay Watershed region onboard the Schooner Woodwind; being able to combine our passion for sailing and independent, craft beer has culminated in this unique brew. It is a dream come true!”
This beer will only be available in two places: on draft in the Taproom at Hysteria Brewery Co. and exclusive cans aboard the Schooner Woodwind.
The taproom draft release celebration will occur this week on Thursday, May 17, at the Hysteria Brewing Company, 9570 Berger Rd, Columbia, Maryland, and is open to the public. 12oz.cans will be available aboard the Schooner Woodwind beginning May 25, 2018, at $6.00 per can.
So, What Did We Talk About?
- The history of the Schooner Woodwind, and why they have always made a point to have relationships with local and regional independent craft brewers.
- How Hysteria and Captain Jen of the Schooner Woodwind connected at the FeBREWary kickoff at Federal House Bar & Grille in Annapolis.
- The origins of Taco Ty, and why no one should trust Brian Shorten of Flying Dog Brewery.
- That time I called a bartender at DRY 85 by the wrong name for six months, because he was too polite to correct me.
- The importance of local partnerships in the state of Maryland.
- A spontaneous and spirited defense of pumpkin beers.
- The story behind the flavor profile for the Seas the Bay IPA.
- My awkward story about the time I ordered a beer to impress a guy.
- And much more…
….seriously, for a Monday, it’s a pretty hysterical conversation.
Okay, Here’s the Episode
Related Articles and Content
- Hysteria’s Seas the Bay IPA launch event on May 17
- Schooner Woodwind website (go book some sails, y’all!)
Subscribe to the Naptown Pintcast
Want more information about the podcast or becoming a guest? I can help with that, too.